Paid Family Leave
- **Paid family leave is available for those who stay home because they need to take care of someone who has contracted the virus (Covid-19) or who has been quarantined (must be certified by a medical professional).
Disability Benefits/Paid Sick Leave
- **Disability Benefits /Paid Sick Leave are available for those who have actually contracted the virus themselves or who have been exposed to it and are quarantined (must be certified by a medical professional in the case of Disability Benefits).
- **Worker’s Compensation is available for those who are unable to do their usual job because they were exposed to and contracted Covid-19 while in the regular course of their job (i.e. healthcare workers)
- **Unemployment Benefits are available to those whose hours have been reduced or who have lost their job due to coronavirus measures (and it also applies to those who choose to stay home due to underlying health issues making them more vulnerable). The Governor has waived the 1 week wait time and the person may not be required to be actively looking for work (as is usually required). https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm
Unfortunately though, this benefit is not available to undocumented persons whose hours are reduced or lose their job for reasons related to COVID-19, etc.
- School Closures: If your child’s school is closed and you have to miss work to care for them. You might qualify for Unemployment Insurance benefits. Learn how to file an Unemployment Insurance Claim HERE. è https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm
Filing for Unemployment
- Unemployment Insurance website:
- How to File Unemployment Insurance Claim:
- File Online
UI OnlineSM is the fastest and most convenient way to file your UI claim. You can file your claim though UI Online during the times (Pacific time) listed below:
When you can file a claim with UI Online
Days of the Week
5 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
4 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday
2 a.m. – 10 p.m.
2 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- By Phone
Representatives are available at the following toll-free numbers, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 noon (Pacific time) except on state holidays.
- By Fax or Mail
File your UI claim by accessing the paper Unemployment Insurance Application. For faster and secure processing, fax the completed application to the number listed on the form. If you mail your application, use the address on the form and allow additional time for processing.
-Disability Insurance Claims (800) 480-3287
-Paid Family Leave Claims (877) 238-4373
- Additional Resources:
Suicide Prevention Center (977)727-4747
ACCESS Hotline (800)854-7771
Elder Abuse Hotline (877) 477-3646
Adult Protective Services (888)202-4248
LA DMH Genesis (213)451-7284